tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 11 15:04:18 2006

Re: walk two miles

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' DloraH, ja':
>When I do it, if I'm refering to the destination I'm getting to I use: cha'
>qelI'qam vIleng
>"I traveled to a point 2 kelicams away."
>If I'm refering to the journey itself, the adventure of getting there, I
>use:
>cha' qelI'qamDaq jIleng
>"I traveled along a length of 2 kelicams."

Ahh! Okrand explained something like this before (for the third time today,
in the interview with charghwI' in HolQeD 7.4), and used the distinction
{yuQ vIleng} "I journey *to* the planet" versus {yuQDaq jIleng} "I journey
*on* the planet".

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Start something musical - 15 free ninemsn Music downloads!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=667&referral=HotmailTaglineNov&URL=http://www.ninemsn.com.au/startsomething

Back to archive top level