tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 20 14:26:29 2006

Re: tlhach mu'mey: HolQeD...

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

I created a page (mostly a placeholder) on the wiki:

/wiki/index.php?Linguistic%20Terms

I'll have to sit down with your email later tonight, I've gotten a little
busy at work today, and add them all in (and tidy up the layout, etc).

Quick note, though, I really like the use of /DoS/ for "object"  (perhaps
more formally /wot DoS/), and similarly, the idea of then using
/qIp(be')bogh/ for "(in)transitive verb"...

...Paul

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Steven Boozer wrote:

> ...Paul:
>> We need to create a list of linguistics jargon on the wiki.  We can
>> discuss it here...
>>
>> I was able to find these in the dictionary...
>>
>>   word -> mu'
>>   sentence -> mu'tlhegh
>>   vocabulary -> mu'tay'
>>   noun -> DIp
>>   verb -> wot
>>   chuvmey -> pronouns, adverbs, etc.
>>   prefix -> moHaq
>>   suffix -> mojaQ
>>   grammar -> pab
>
> Don't forget rover  -> {lengwI'}
>
>> But how about:
>>
>>   subject -> ?
>>   predicate -> ?
>>   object -> ?
>
> {DoS} "target" (n.) seems appropriate.  This brings up some wordplay:
>
>   the Klingon phrase {wa' DoS wIqIp} ("We hit one target") or
>   the shorter {DoS wIqIp} ("We hit a target") is frequently
>   heard in conversations that have nothing to do with shooting,
>   targets, or even weaponry. It is a way of saying "We agree."
>   (KGT 105-06)
>
> I've used *{Qay(be')bogh wot} for "(in)transitive verb". [cf. Rus.
> *perekhodnyi glagol*] though maybe *{qIp(be')bogh wot} may be better.
>
>>   indirect object -> ?
>>   adjective -> ?
>>   letter -> ?
>
> I've seen *{DeghHom} often used for "letter (of alphabet)" on this
> List.  {pIqaD} "the native Klingon writing system" is sometimes used for
> "alphabet, syllabary, etc.".
>
>> I can come up with a few phrases on my own that might convey some of
>> these, like perhaps /Delbogh wot'e'/ "verb which describes" for
>> "adjective", but I don't want to come off authoritarian (maybe the
>> concensus is that /Delbogh mu''e'/ is better,
>
> Purpose-nouns may be better for these linguistic terms:  *{DelmeH wot}
> "quality, stative verb."
>
> Other terms (some of my own invention) I've found in my notes are:
>
> *{HolHom} is widely used on this List for "dialect", implying *{Hol'a'}
> "Ursprache, parent language" (e.g. Indo-European, Proto-Semitic).
>
> *{vangmeH wot} "action verb"
>
> *{vang'eghbogh mojaq} "reflexive suffix"
>
> *{vangchuqbogh mojaq} "reciprocal suffix"
>
> *{DIp lIw} "pronoun" - or just {lIw} "substitute, stand-in, temporary
> surrogate".  Glen Proechel used
> *{DIpvaD tam}.
>
> *{mu'tlhegh'a'} "paragraph" (from David Barron)
>
> *{mu'tlheghghom} "corpus" (also *{chovnatlhghom})
>
> *{mu'tlheghHom} "clause".  Qov once used *{mu'tlheghHom potlh} for "main
> clause".
>
> *{yu'bogh mu'} "interrogative" (Glen Proechel)
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

          ** ...Paul, [email protected], Insane Engineer **
            If it's not the same, it should be different.

Back to archive top level