tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 20 13:18:12 2006

tlhach mu'mey: HolQeD...

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

pIjHa' tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhmeH meq vIghaj.  tlhIngan Hol wIja'chuq
vIneHtaHvIS, jIHvAD Qatlh, mu'mey lugh vISovbe'mo'.  /sentence/ Del
mu'tlhegh 'e' vISov, 'ach /subject/ /object/ ghap Del nuq?

/wiki/Daq HolQeD tlhach mu'mey tetlh wIchennISmoH.  ghomvamDaq
wIja'chuqlaH.

Rarely do I have a reason to speak in Klingon.  When I want to discuss the
language, it's difficult for me because I don't know the correct words.  I
know /mu'tlhegh/ describes a sentence, but what describes subjects or
objects?

We need to create a list of linguistics jargon on the wiki.  We can
discuss it here...

I was able to find these in the dictionary...

word -> mu'
sentence -> mu'tlhegh
vocabulary -> mu'tay'
noun -> DIp
verb -> wot
chuvmey -> pronouns, adverbs, etc.
prefix -> moHaq
suffix -> mojaQ
grammar -> pab

But how about:

subject -> ?
predicate -> ?
object -> ?
indirect object -> ?
adjective -> ?
letter -> ?

I can come up with a few phrases on my own that might convey some of
these, like perhaps /Delbogh wot'e'/ "verb which describes" for
"adjective", but I don't want to come off authoritarian (maybe the
concensus is that /Delbogh mu''e'/ is better, or maybe something
completely off the wall, like /laH wot/ "verb of ability"...  It would be
useful, I think, to aggregate the phrases we think best represent these
grammatical concepts and put them somewhere referencable, so we can
discuss the language IN the language and (hopefully) be somewhat
consistent about it...

For an idea of context, I'm thinking about things like how would you
write:

tera'ngan HoH SuvwI'

/SuvwI'/ is the subject, /HoH/ is the verb, /tera'ngan/ is the object.

...in Klingon?

...Paul

          ** ...Paul, [email protected], Insane Engineer **
            If it's not the same, it should be different.

Back to archive top level