tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 13 08:35:00 2006

Re: [Klingon_Language] need help translating

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > However, Klingons refer to walking the gauntlet of painstik-wielding
> > warriors during the Ritual of Ascension {nentay} as "traveling the River of
> > Blood":
> >
> >    'Iw bIQtIqDaq jIjaH
> >    I travel the River of Blood (TNG "The Icarus Factor")
> >
> >    'Iw bIQtIqDaq bIlengjaj
> >    May you travel the River of Blood! PK
> >
> > Thus, the savvy Klingon child might well ask:
> >
> >    ghorgh bIQtIqDaq jIjaH?
> >    When will I travel the "River of Blood"?
> >
> > For more emphasis on "I" by an anxious child, add {jIH}:
> >
> >    ghorgh bIQtIqDaq jIjaH jIH?
> >    When will *I* travel the "River of Blood"?

Philip:
>In both of those last two sentences, presumably there should be an
>{'Iw} before {bIQtIqDaq}, qar'a'?

ghuy'cha'!  Of course there should:

    ghorgh 'Iw bIQtIqDaq jIjaH?
    When will I travel the "River of Blood"?

    ghorgh 'Iw bIQtIqDaq jIjaH jIH?
    When will *I* travel the "River of Blood"?

(Yet another example of the danger of copying-and-pasting too quickly!)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level