tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 22 18:02:04 2006

Re: Why we can use words that it'd take klingons 5 minutes to understand.

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>The real question would be, which meaning of love would one
>see correct for muSHa'?

Okrand has said that {muS}'s meaning is probably stronger than {par}, but
implies that their basic sense may be comparable, differing more in degree
than in quality:

"Interestingly (and bolstering the idea that "dislike" is a default),
there's also the word {muS} "hate" (which is presumably stronger somehow
than {par} "dislike")." (Okrand to alt.startrek.klingon, 2 Mar 1998)

As such, I would probably use {muSHa'} in something like {qagh vImuSHa'} "I
love gagh" or "I really like gagh". Or, in view of Okrand's comments on
{QuchHa'} in that same posting, even "I used not to like gagh, but have come
to love it".

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

New year, new job ? there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level