tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 16 16:36:12 2006

Re: Why we can use words that it'd take klingons 5 minutes to understand.

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu', jIja':
>lughbej nuvvetlh. {qIb lengwI' tlhIngan Hol} ghItlhtaHvIS wanI'vetlh qel
>Okrand; {no' Hol} ponglu'. ghe'naQDaq bommeyDaq latlhDaq je tlhIngan Hol
>mu'mey mu'tlheghmey je ngo' lulo'lu'bogh 'oH {no' Hol}'e'.

mujang Shane MiQogh, ja':
>So why is it considered part of the reputable klingon cannon?

Because it's still Okrandian Klingon. Aso, all of the {no' Hol} that Okrand
presents is in some way used in modern Klingon culture. I'll give you some
examples:

*{Delaq Do'} is a {no' Hol} phrase meaning "take your stations". It's used
ceremonially in modern Klingon.
*{HajDob} is a {no' Hol} word that means "limb". Mostly supplanted by the
word {gham}, {HajDob} is still used by the upper classes. A similar
situation obtains for the word {tu'lum}.
*The {no' Hol} phrase {mova' 'aqI' ruStaq} means "it was a good day to die",
and is the first line of an opera that is well-known even by modern
Klingons.

For more on {no' Hol}, I suggest you acquire KGT.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

New year, new job ? there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level