tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 09 21:08:12 2006

Re: vowels vs. consonants <Re: Klingon WOTD: pIl (verb)

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

y and ' are just like in english. They *CAN* act as vowels, but strictly are consonents. tlh is one letter...

  One must remember, that the letters can't be displayed so we use the english equivalents, like the germans (on american computers) often put ss instead of  ß, or ue steand of ü. Anything with letters with numbers above 255 at times must use this system. Klingon letters are similar to japanese katakana or hirugana (sp?) in the fact that they spell it more by sound and/or sylobol, rather than parts of sounds. tlh is one sound, therefore 1 letter.
[email protected] wrote:
  In a message dated 4/9/2006 4:58:26 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:
> there is one three-vowel letter, the tlh, which is similar to the welsh ll
> (which *is* in fact two LLs next to eachother).
> the tlh is however 1 letter, not three. 4 vowels doesn't happen as far as
> I know, apart from maybe where a ' is connected to tlh...
> but again here, it's in fact only 2 letters.

{'} and {tlh} are both consonants.
The five vowels are {a}, {e}, {I}, {o}, and {u}.
I don't think there any words with even two adjacent vowels. Adjacent
consonants occur frequency where two syllables meet, but rarely anywhere else, and
then mostly in names such as {qIrq} and {pIqarD}. {rgh} is anomalous: Is it
one consonant or two? It looks like two, but it acts like one. {w} and {y} are
also special cases. They are semi-vowels after vowels, but consonants before
vowels.

lay'tel SIvten