tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 02 07:27:26 2006

Re: more Okuda pIqaD?

ngabwI' ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shane MiQogh" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 7:40 PM
Subject: Re: more Okuda pIqaD?

> Actually, vulcan (even though it's not a language) dosn't have any vowels.

As pointed out, my understanding is that it does.

Though, there is no vulcan language. Only Klingon.

Pay no attention to the fact behind the curtain!

There is indeed. For STII, Marc Okrand devised a few lines of Vulcan for a
scene originally filmed in English that involved a conversation between
Spock (Leonard Nimoy) and Lt. Saavik (Kirstie Alley). He created Vulcan
dialogue that matched the lip movements made in English.

Then, in 2005, while Enterprise was in its last season, a certain cognitive
psychologist got the opportunity to create Vulcan dialogue for one of the
last episodes. (I do not know if the scene made it into the show. I missed
that episode.) He got permission for Marc Okrand to structure the language
as he saw fit, and (from what I understand) was able to impose some order
onto the sounds from STII, creating at least a minimal part of the language.

The psychologist was Lawrence Schoen, PhD, Director of the Klingon Language
Institute.

(Sorry for the English posts, y'all.)

--ngabwI'
Klingon Grammarian