tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 20 14:20:09 2005

Re: targhmey

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

QeS la':
> > ter'eS also makes a good point in observing that these counterexamples are
> > both questions; I just searched my own canon database, and of the dozen or
> > so examples of pronoun plus {-taH} I turned up, not one was a question.
> The
> > reverse may not be true, and this may be an artefact of the small sample
> > size (I only found about a dozen examples of pronoun + {-taH} all up), but
> > it's probably something to consider.

lay'tel SIvten:
>You found a dozen or so?  I only found eight:
>
>ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH.  [which is approached near it is being. |
>lit.: which one approaches; it is being nearby] [SkyBox card S99]
>
>{bIghHa'Daq ghaHtaH qama''e'.}  The prisoner is in the prison.  [KGT p.24]
>
>{bIQ'a'Daq 'oHtaH 'etlh'e'.}  The sword is in the ocean. | (idiom) [KGT
>pp.121,122]
>
>{naDev bIHtaH. cha'SaD DeQ. tugh.} "Here they are. Two thousand credits.
>Hurry up!" [PK]
>
>{pa'wIjDaq jIHtaH}  I am in my quarters.    [TKD p.68]
>
>{pa'DajDaq ghaHtaH la''e'}  The commander is in his quarters.|As for the
>commander, he is in his quarters.    [TKD p.68]
>
>{jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'} I'm lost. [lit.: I don't know the here which
>(where) I am (being).]   [TKD p.172] phrase #57
>
>What are the others you found?

There's my cue...

   pa'Daq jIHtaH
   I'm in the room. TKD (p.27)

(A trivial variation of {pa'wIjDaq jIHtaH}, to be sure, but it is a
separate example given some 40 pages earlier in TKD.)

   qIrq.  DujHomDaq ghaHtaH!
   Kirk.  He's on the shuttlecraft! ST5

My favorite example for showing the contrast between pronoun-as-verb used
for location (with {-taH} vs. identity (without {-taH}):

   pa' 'oHtaH vaS'a''e'.  tlhIngan qum waw' 'oH.
   This is where the Klingon Great Hall is located, the center of the
   Klingon government. S27

and most recently:

   meyrI'Daq 'oHtaH gho'e'
   The circle is in the square. [qep'a' 2005]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level