tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 20 13:30:23 2005

Re: targhmey

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

>which you should reply, "You mean as opposed to the good restaurant that
>keeps
>winking in and out of existence?")

Or as opposed to "the good restaurant that is no longer there". If a Klingon
is informed that their favourite restaurant was knocked down a fortnight
ago, he might be so angry that he might ask "So where is there *still* a
good restaurant?". It's admittedly not going to show up often, but I don't
see it as ungrammatical. Recite the mantra: Context, Context, Context. {{:)

?{qachvamDaq 'oHpu' Qe' QaQ'e'}  "There used to be a good restaurant in this building but it
might be gone now."

?{qachvamDaq 'oHta' Qe' QaQ'e'} "There used to be a good restaurant in this building
until the owner closed it."

?{qachvamDaq 'oHlI' Qe' QaQ'e'} "There is still a good restaurant in this building for now."
or, better for that last one:
?{che'ronDaq 'oHlI' lupDujHom'e'} "The shuttle is still on the battlefield (so get a move on
before it leaves!)"

DuHmey law'qu'!  8+)

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level