tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 15 12:28:04 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: *

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

 [Sending again as "styled text".  Hopefully the formatting will survive.
--Voragh]
no'aH asks:

Voragh:
  Where did you get all this information on these words? Have you  been/Did
you compile all this yourself? Or did you aquire the help of  others? And is
there some way I could get ahold of whatever wealth of  information you
have?
  haha I know, I know. Alot of questions. Just thought I'd ask, since I've
been thinking that for over a year now... :-P
Oh, like many of the old-timers on the List, I've been compiling my notes
forsome time.  In my case It must be 15 years now.  I started out
keyboardingmy own searchable copy of the Klingon-English glossaries in TKD
and the TKD appendix.  Then I copied out the example sentences from TKD into
a master canon list, then copy and pasted each sentence into the entry for
the relevant word or affix.  When I got copies of "Conversational Klingon"
and "Power Klingon", I played the tapes several times and transcribed the
dialogue - again updating my glossary with examples.  Over the years I've
done the same for the movies, books, CDs, and other materials ("The Klingon
Way", "Klingon for the Galactic Traveller", "Star Trek: Klingon!" (the CD
game), the SkyBox trading cards, television episodes, etc.).  Some of this
material has been published in HolQeD.

Basically it's my own laborious work, though I have added information culled
by others and posted to this List - primarily materials that I don't have
access to.  I've also added comments, suggestions, supposed puns, useful web
sites, suggestions for additional non-canonical vocabulary and miscellaneous
theories - both my own and others' (again publicly posted to this List).
According to MS-Word my "Annotated Klingon Dictionary" (AKD) as I call it
hasnow reached 625 pages if I should ever print it out one day.  (I really
should do that for back-up purposes!)  And *that* is why I call myself the
Ca'Non Master.  As one of my Semitics professors once put it:  The trick to
appearing omniscient is having a complete and thoroughly indexed set of
notes.

Now that the grunt work of keyboarding has been done, I can share some of
theresults with the wider community of Klingonists.  These Klingon
Word-of-the-Day posts are ideal for sharing all my information on a given
word in bite-sized, easily digested, portions reformatted a bit for ASCII
email, which can also spur discussion on what has inevitably become a fairly
quiet list.

In spite of numerous requests over the years, I won't give anyone a copy of
my entire file.  You should really do the work yourself:  It will help you
learn, and it's fun (at least to those of us who like to play with
languages).  But for a taste, here's a copy of the first page from my AKD
with my sources and abbreviations and a few sample entries.  I'll send it
twoways, both with and without the MS-Word character formatting:

            &= nbsp;
            &= nbsp;

            &= nbsp;           &n= bsp;      The ANNOTATED Klingon
Dictionary

Canonical glossary and examples appear in plain text and are taken from The
Klingon Dictionary (TKD [c1985, Add. c1992]), Conversational Klingon (CK
[c1992]), Power Klingon (PK [c1993]), The Klingon Way (TKW [c1996]), Klin=
gon for the Galactic Traveller (KGT [c1997]) [DloraH has poste= d an index
toKGT online at http://www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro/kgt.txt[1] (or
http://www.frontiernet.net/~rhcheesbro[2] )= ], Star Trek movie dialogue
(STMP, ST3, ST5 a= nd ST6), the SkyBox cards (SP1-3 [TNG 1st season], S7-9
[TNG 2nd season], S13-15 [TNG 3rd season], S19-21 [TNG 4th season], S25-27
[TNG 5th season], S31-33 [TNG 6t= h season], DS99 [DS9 1993 series] and the
Copyright notice)= , Star Trek: Klingon CD (KCD) and Star Trek: Klingon!
novelization (STK). In addition, Marc Okrand (M= O) has revealed some new
vocabulary, examples and insights in intervi= ews published in HolQeD (IMO),
startrek.com's Star Trek: Continuum= Klingon Compendium area ("Klingon
Linguistic Studies" [KLS] and their "Klingon Culture" database at
http://www.startrek.com/library/kli= ngon.asp[3] (N.B. the definitions are
not by Okrand), the old MSN= -sponsored "Expert Forum BBS" [BBS] and the
startrek.kli= ngon newsgroup [st.k]) on the Star Trek: Continuum w= eb site,
Star Trek Communicator #104 (1995) special Klingon issue = (STC), the
Britishtelevision magazine Radio Times (RTm) plus Star Trek 30th Anniversary
Special book (RTb), the &quot= ;Warrior's Anthem" from the Klingon CD-ROM
andDS9 "Soldiers of= the Empire" (Anthem) and opening announcement for Star
Tr= ek: The Experience (STX), the Klingon text on the Kling= on Bird of Prey
cutaway poster (BoP), and w rote (or approved) the KLI's 1999 "Friend of
Maltz" certi= ficate (FMC). He also provided a few words and expressions for
A.C= . Crispin's novel Sarek and Keith R.A. DeCandido's novel Diplomatic
Implausibility (DI). All of the post-TKD material = is also available at
WillMartin's list "Klingon Words Not in The Kl= ingon Dictionary" (which
alsoincludes page references) maintained b= y the Klingon Language Institute
at www.kli.org/kli/newwords.html[4].
Non-canonical neologisms by Glen Proechel (GP: Alien Language P= rimer
[ALP],Firing the Canon [FTC], Good New= s for the Warrior Race [GNWR],
Homlet: Prince of Kro= nos [Homlet], The Interstellar Language School [ILS],
K'Huq Finn [HF], The Kahless Cycle [KC]= , The Warrior Tongue at Warp Speed
[WS], Warrior Greetin= gs [WG] and The Warrior's Unabridged Dictionary [WUD=
])--as well as KLI's Klingon Bible Translation Project (KBT= P)--are in
smallcaps. My suggestions (and others')) are prefi= xed by asterisks (*), in
italics or followed by question marks (?); my own English translations are
[in brackets]. Angle brac= kets indicate <uncertainties> in transcription
dueto muttered dial= ogue, background music or sound effects.

Other sources include:  TKDA =3D= the 1992 Addendum to TKD. Ag =3D The
Agonizer (fanzine). AKD =3D Annotated Klingon Dictionary (i.e. this docum=
ent). AOE =3D The Ashes of Eden. BG =3D KLI Beginner= s' Grammarians
(trI'Qal[Duffy Dopplebower], Capt. Krankor [Rich Yampell]= ,
charghwI'/SarrIS[Will Martin], ~mark/Seqram [Mark Shoulson], ghunchu'w= I'
[Alan Anderson], SuStel [David Trimboli]). Cadets =3D Alex Gree= ne's ads
forthe 1997 British TV series Space Cadets. CC =3D= closed captions. DB =3D
David Barron (postal course). DOW = =3D Das offizielle W=F6rterbuch
Klingonisch-Deutsch, Deutsch-Klingonis= ch (i.e. the 1996 German translation
of The Klingon Diction= ary). DS9 =3D Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. FTG= =3D
Federation Travel Guide (by Michael Jan Friedman [1997]).= GIL =3D
ghIlghameS: A Klingon Translation (by Roger Chees bro =3D DloraH [2000]).
Hallmark =3D Bird of Prey Christmas= ornament commercial. TKH =3D Hamlet,
theRestored Klingon Vers= ion (KLI's translation). HOG =3D Heart of Glory
(fanzin= e). HQ =3D HolQeD (KLI journal). IGM =3D= Imperial Geographic
Magazine (fanzine). KAG =3D Kli= ngon Assault Group (fan club). KAHLESS =3D
J.M. Friedman's pro nov= el. Katz =3D Ian Katz' article in The Guardian
(7/14/94). KBTP =3D Klingon Bible Translation Project (i.e. the KLI's p=
roject).  KdB =3D Klingon Data Base area on the Star Trek: Continuum web
site. KEVE =3D the KLI's "Klingon E= ducational Virtual Environment" (telnet
mush.kli.org 2218). KF =3D Klin-Fire (fanzine). KHG =3D Klingon Honor Guard
(computer game). KLAW =3D Klingon Legion of Assault Warriors. KLC =3D ILS
Klingon Language Camp. KLCP =3D KLI's Klingon La= nguag e Certification
Program. KLI =3D Klingon Language Institute (cf= . especially the htt=
p://kli.org/kli/langs/KLItlh.html[5] page). KLV =3D the Klingon L= anguage
Version (i.e. Joel Anderson's Bible translation project).&= nbsp; KMA =3D
Much Ado About Nothing =3D paghmo' tIn mIS= : the Restored Klingon Version
(KLI's translation by Nick Nic= holas). KSF =3D Klingon Strike Force. KSRP
=3D Klingon Shak= espeare Restoration Project. KWP =3D Klingon Writing
Project. K= X =3D KomereXXX (fanzine). LMS =3D Dr Lawrence Schoen, =
DirectorKLI. MG =3D Mutsun Grammar (Marc Okrand's unpublis= hed 1997 Ph.D.
dissertation. ML =3D KLI tlhIngan Hol mailin= g list. MOO =3D TrekMOO
(telnettrekmoo.microserve.com 2499 or www= .microserve.com/~trek). MUSE =3D
TrekMUSE (telnet trek1.trekmuse.o= rg 1701). OK =3D Old Klingon
(hypothetical). OKPB =3D &quot= ;Offi cial Klingon Phrase Book" from
Interplay's Star Trek V: The Final= Frontier computer game ("Klingon" in
small caps). Perry= =3D Charles Perry's L.A. Times article (6/03/93). PKD =
=3D the Portuguese translation of The Klingon Dictionary. PTM =3D paghmo'
tInmIS (KLI's translation of Much Ado Ab= out Nothing). qH =3D qIb HeHDaq
(ILS journal). QQ =3D Qo'noS QonoS (KLI e-zine: www.kli.org/QQ/).  = Reival
=3D Guido's "General Reival's Log." SB =3D Steven Boozer (i.e. my own
phrase). SFA =3D = Starfleet Academy #18 (special Klingon issue). STE =3D =
The Star Trek Encyclopedia. STMP, ST2, ST3, ST4, ST5, ST6, STG, STFC =3D
StarTr= ek movie dialogue. TAS =3D Star Trek [the animated seri= es]. TDP
=3DThe Daystrom Project (Rick Endres' fan nove l). TGD =3D The Grammarian's
Desk (a collection of Capt. Kr= ankor's columns from the first four years of
HolQeD). TNG =3D= Star Trek: The Next Generation. TOS =3D Star Tre= k [the
original series]. VGR =3D Star Trek: Voyager. WDMC =3D What Dreams May Come
(fanzine). WOT= =3D Worlds of Translation (KLI sci-fi story translation
proje= ct).

Abbreviations used:  adj =3D adjective. adv =3D ad= verbial. ant =3D
antonym.arch =3D archaic, ritual speech (= no' Hol). cf =3D see the related
or nearly synonymou= s word. coll =3D collective. conj =3D conjunction. CpK
=3D Clipped Klingon. dev =3D acceptable deviation from standard= grammar,
intentionally ungrammatical (pabHa'). dial =3D di= alect (Krotmagh, Morska,
etc.) DN =3D divine or mythologica= l name. E->K =3D English-to-Klingon side
of TKD o= nly. excl =3D exclamation. expl =3D expletive. for =3D= formal
speech. GN =3D geographical name. gram =3D grammar = &linguistics. id =3D
idiom(atic). juv =3D juvenile (puq Hol). K->E =3D Klingon-to-English side o=
f TKD only. lit =3D literally translated. mil =3D military.= n =3D noun. num
=3D number. pl =3D plural. PN =3D personal name. pron =3D pronoun. pun =3D
probable Okrandian joke or pun. = qual =3D quality (or "stative verb"). R
=3Da "= rover" suffix. reg =3D regional. rit =3D ritual(ized) = speech (no'
Hol). SAO =3D Sentence As Object construction. = sg =3D singular. slg =3D
Klingon slang (mu'mey ghoQ)= . SN =3D ship name. s.o =3D someone. ST:C =3D
Star Trek: Continuum web site (www.startrek.com[6]). std =3D= standard
Klingon (ta' Hol). s.th =3D something. = syn =3D exact synonym (i.e. same
English gloss in TKD). tip= =3D mnemonic hint. untr =3D line untranslated in
movie (i.= e. no subtitle provided). use =3D use the preferred or later w=
ord. vb =3D verb. vi =3D intransitive verb. VOM =3D = verb of motion. VOS
=3Dverb of saying. vt =3D transitive v= erb. vs =3D ver sus, as contrasted
to.

         ------------------------=

bach  shot (n.) - bach Do', qaH A= lucky shot sir... ST3

bach  shoot ["Verb, to fire a projectile weapon at.&quot= ; (KLS) "The verb
used for shoot when referring to disruptors= is bach. Technically speaking,
one shoots the energy beam from th= e disruptor. The general word for any
energy beam (ray) is tIH, so a disruptor's beam is nISwI' tIH. Thus, the
correct format= ion is nISwI' tIH bach (shoot the disruptor beam). As a pra=
ctical matter, however, the tIH is often left out, and nISwI' b= ach is the
common way to say shoot a disruptor. Similarly, = pu' bach is shoot a
phaser."(KGT 56)] (cf. baH= ) - logh veQDaq bachchugh, yoH 'e' toblaHbe'
SuvwI' Shooting s= pace garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle. (ST5
notes)ST5 - bach = veq ghobe' paqdui'norgh tlhingan [sic] Shooting garbage
isno = test of a warrior. OKPB - SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq
bachlu= 'meH chuqna' ghurmoH naQvam This serves to steady the aim of a
warrior and increase the effective range for distanc= e targeting. S14 -
pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach Curse well! ["The = commonly heard sendoff Curse
well!--roughly comparable in u= sage to the Federation Standard Good
luck!--literally means= , Shoot curses forceffully! Curses are considered a
weapon of a so= rt which must be propelled to their targets." (TKW 148)] -
"=yIbachqu'," he snapped. (Fire at it!! [double impe= rative employed]) TDP

*bachHIch  "Bach=92Hich" assault d= isruptor KHG ["This appears to be a
=91shotgun=92 type thing.&qu= ot; (pagh)]

bachHa'  err, make a mistake (slang) KGT ["This w= ord literally means
something like mis-shoot--that is, shoot wr= ongly. It is used in such
constructions as jIbachHa'pu' (&quot= ;I have made a mistake"; lliterally,
"Ihave mis-shot"). T= he standard word meaning err, make a mistake is Qagh,
as in= jIQaghpu' ("I have make a mistake")." (KGT 145) la= belled "(n.)" in
KGT word list: "Note that this is = obviously not a noun. I'm convinced that
he made this mistake on purpose,= given the definition. It sets the tone for
the degree of perfection we a= re to expect from this work. He knows there
will be errors, so why wait. = Put one in the first entry." (charghwI') "I
was talking with Ma= rc about this yesterday. I mentioned that the only
problem with the ba= chHa' error in the book was that it was, by definition,
canonical. I = could hear him smiling over the phone as he sai d, `But
that'sonly in the Klingon to English side. It's correct the othe= r way.'"
(Lawrence) "bachHa' is slang ... Possibly analo= gous to `messed up'..."
(Qov) Cf. also bIQ ngaS HIvje'= The cup contains water: "This idiomatic
expression means = be quite mistaken, be totally wrong." (KGT 120) pun: &quo=
t;botch"] (cf. Qagh, muj be wrong, lughbe' &qarbe'; n. Qagh) - jIbachHa'pu'
Iha= ve made a mistake (slg: "I have mis-shot") KGT

*bachwI'  gunman, shooter (cf. *pu= SwI')

bagh  tie (vb.) (cf. muv join, rar "connect, attach" &tay' be
together/united) [tip:= bag (sold with twist tie fasteners)]

baghneQ  spoon BBS ["Eating is done with hands only. The= re is no Klingon
fork or spoon. If the cook has prepared the food properl= y, there should be
no need to use a knife either, though, from time to ti= me, one is quite
useful." (KGT 99) "The Klingon word for "= fork" is puq chonnaQ. As is well
known, Klingons prefer to ge= t food into their mouths without the aid of
implements (except for such t= hings as the bowl containing soup or the
goblet containing bloodwine). Ne= vertheless, they have become acquainted
with the eating habits of other c= ultures and have become aware of such
things as forks. On occasion, they'= ll even use the implements, most
commonly when partaking of a non-Klingon= meal (whether on a Klingon planet
or elsewhere) but sometimes when eatin= g Klingon food, as if to add an
exotic touch to the meal experience. (Not= all Klingons are skilled in using
forks, however, and some simply refuse= to deal with them. Those who do not
use them=20 seem to be not at all troubled by eating "foreign" food using K=
lingon means -- that is, hands.) ... The Klingon word for "spoon&quo= t; is
baghneQ. Even though spoons were never typically usedd when = eating, the
word appears to have been in the language for a long time, su= ggesting that
it may once have meant something else. One theory is that i= t comes from
nagh beQ "flat stone, flat rock" and that t= he initial sounds of the two
words, n and b, were, for some= reason, transposed. This is, however, just
speculation." (st.k 5/05= /98) pun: a "spoonerism"!] (cf. bo'Dagh "sco= op")

[... etc.]

-- Voragh          &n= bsp;           &nb= sp;   Ca'Non Master of the
Klingons

--- Links ---
   1 3D"http://www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro/kgt.=
   2 3D"http=