tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 23 18:15:50 2005

RE: Subtle shadings of "then": Okrand's error ?

DloraH ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

> tlhoS jIjanglaHbe' je'

What is the /je'/ in there?

> choSovchu' 'e' DaHar 'e' luyajbejqu'  Hoch (better?)
> 'ach choSovchu'be'
>
>  Stylistically, I'd suggest inverting {-be'} and {-chu'},
> though: {choSovbe'chu'} "you clearly don't know me" preserves
> the original sense a little better than {choSovchu'be'} "it's
> unclear that you know me".
>

> Well, I was looking at the rule that the rover follows the concept
> being negated, and following the sense that, while you do in
> fact know me,
> you don't REALLY know me.So I was trying to negate only the
> "perfectly" concept.Like, okay...you know me... but not as
> well as you think you do...
>
> (I'd like your comments on this part...can I negate an
> qualifier to carry this connotation?)
>
> Is this gramatically correct? Is there a better way to carry
> that connotation?

choSovchu'be' - You do not completely know me.  (You know me only a little bit.)
choSovbe'chu' - You completely do not know me.  (You don't know me at all.)

> ghobe', Hoch ram SoHmo' jInaj 'e' DaSovbe' (no, you don't
> know that you cause me to dream every night)
>
> maj. For the original "You don't know the one who dreams of you at night" I
> would have done it a bit differently, but this is fine.

The english implies that it is the person (which is doing the dreaming) that is not known.
The klingon implies that it is the act of dreaming that is not known about.

> I've had situations before wherein I wanted to say "about"
> (and even "with")in a case like this... that you are the
> subject matter of my dreams. How would you have done it?

"While I dream you/we..."
"While I dream, I think about you."

> For I never knew the art of making love, (half of skill lies in knowing
> what you can do..the other half lies in knowing what you cannot. I'm
> not ready to try this one yet.)

Hmm.
This is a tough one.

> SoHvaD parmaqwIjmo' 'oy' tIqwIj (My heart aches due to my
> love for you)

This english "love" seems to be refering to the touchy-feely emotion inside.  This is not /parmaq/.  /parmaq/ as a noun refers to
the physical action of a couple klingons scratching, ripping, breaking bones...

qaSaHqu'chu'mo' ...

> jIyoHHa'mo' 'ej jIjaqHa'mo'  narghpu' 'ebwIj 'e' vIchawpu'
> (Because I was not brave, and because I was not bold, I allowed my chance to escape)

chaw', with a (').

A type 7 suffix can't go on the verb following an 'e'.

> 'ebvetlhDaq jIHvaD parmaq Daghajjaj....(an attempt at a
> "drastic recast")

Again about /parmaq/.

DloraH

Back to archive top level