tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 23 16:38:27 2005

Re: Subtle shadings of "then": Okrand's error ?

bob mcfaddin ([email protected])

This seems like a good time for a recap. To date, I think we have:

jIHvaD ghoplIj Danob
ghIq jIHvaD bIjatlh.
tlhoS jIjanglaHbe' je'

See if you can come up with a good way of recasting "I can hardly
speak": I have one in mind, but I don't want to influence your answer.
{{:)
 (how's that? You never did tell me whether it was good or not...)
nomqu' vIHmo' tIqwIj
choSovchu' 'e' DaHar 'e' luyajbejqu'  Hoch (better?)
'ach choSovchu'be'

 Stylistically, I'd suggest inverting {-be'} and {-chu'}, though: {choSovbe'chu'} "you clearly don't know me" preserves the original sense a little better than {choSovchu'be'} "it's unclear that you know me".

Well, I was looking at the rule that the rover follows the concept
being negated, and following the sense that, while you do in fact know me,
you don't REALLY know me.So I was trying to negate only the
"perfectly" concept.Like, okay...you know me... but not as well as you think you do...

(I'd like your comments on this part...can I negate an qualifier to carry this connotation?)

Is this gramatically correct? Is there a better way to carry that connotation?

ghobe?, Hoch ram SoHmo? jInaj ?e? DaSovbe? (no, you don't know that you
cause me to dream every night)

maj. For the original "You don't know the one who dreams of you at night" I
would have done it a bit differently, but this is fine. As in any language,
there are different ways of doing things.

I've had situations before wherein I wanted to say "about" (and even "with")in a case like this... that you are the subject matter of my dreams. How would you have done it?

qevpoblIj vIchop 'ej qa'uchqu' 'e' vIneH 'e' DaSovbe' (you don't know
that I want to really hold you, and "a bite on the cheek for old times' sake"?))

>SoHvaD juplI' neH jIH. ret ghaH neH jIHtaH. DaSovchu'be'mo' (To you I'm only a friend..that's all I've ever been, because you don't really know me)

maj. I'm not sure that you need {-lI'} here (it's a bit redundant), but
if you want to leave it there that's not a problem.

I left it because I thought it followed the meter of the original better that way...

For I never knew the art of making love, (half of skill lies in knowing
what you can do..the other half lies in knowing what you cannot. I'm
not ready to try this one yet.)

SoHvaD parmaqwIjmo? ?oy? tIqwIj (My heart aches due to my love for you)

jIyoHHa'mo' 'ej jIjaqHa'mo'  narghpu' 'ebwIj 'e' vIchawpu'  (Because I
was not brave, and because I was not bold, I allowed my chance to
escape)

'ebvetlhDaq jIHvaD parmaq Daghajjaj....(an attempt at a "drastic recast")

QeS lagh <[email protected]> wrote:

Sorry I've taken so long to get this one, but there's been a combination of
exam time at university, hard labour at home, and the fact that there's some
bits of this email I just don't know what to do with...

qaybe'. jIHvaD lo'laHqu' vuDmeylIj. jIloSlaH.

>For I never knew the art of making love, (half of skill lies in knowing
>what you can do..the other half lies in knowing what you cannot. I'm not
>ready to try this one yet.)

chaq DanIDrupbe'... 'ach yInID! {{:) maQagh, matlhoj, 'ej maghoj.

wa'DIch DanID.

jajvam lururbogh jajmey'e' lutu'lu' muja'ta' SoSoywI'

juDmoS

Yahoo! Mail