tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 22 09:09:19 2005

RE: Subtle shadings of "then": Okrand's error ?

DloraH ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

> > Daj mugh 'oHbe'. mughDaj 'oH tlhIngan Hol mu'tlhegh'e'. bom mu'mey mugh 'e'
> > nID, 'ach bom mu'vetlh qonpu' latlh nuv (Ray Charles'e' qonta').
>
> He tries to translate the words of a song, but the human (Ray
> Charles) recorded that additional word to the song.
>
> The second sentence seems to refer to a Klingon language
> "rope" which I think refers to this translation "thread"...
> an inventive use of the term...

mu'tlhegh - "sentence", listed in TKD.
"The klingon sentence is..."  and /mughDaj/ looks like he mistook /mugh/ to be a noun.

bom mu' - "lyrics", KGT p71.

/latlh/ is next to /nuv/, not /mu'/.
"... but another person composed those lyrics."

The part is the () is either:
  "(He had composed Ray Charles)", or
  "(As for Ray Charles, he had composed it)"
Because the focus of the discussion was about the lyrics and not really on Ray, I would have expected /qonta' Ray Charles/ "Ray
Charles had composed it"

> That's about all I can get until I learn what mughDaj vs Daj
> mugh means...

He will have to explain what he meant by /Daj mugh/.

DloraH

Back to archive top level