tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 16 18:52:07 2005

Re: Subtle shadings of "then": Okrand's error ?

In a message dated 5/16/2005 8:19:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> From canon, {-chugh} and {vaj} are used very frequently both together and
> seperated.

I could find exactly five different canon usages of {vaj} used after
{-chugh}.  Three of them are of the form "X or die!".

1) naDev juHlIjDaq cha'logh vISopneSchugh, vaj jIquv. jIghungqu'.
It would be an honor to eat twice here at your house, your honor. I am very
hungry.   PK179

This one is interesting because the English does not use "if" at all.  It has
a conditional.

2) qorDu' SaHlu'chugh 'ej matlhlu'chugh vaj wa' tlhIngan ghob potlhqu'.
...devotion and loyalty to family is one of the most important Klingon
virtues.   S13-3

3) bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh
Surrender or die!   [TKD p.170, CK]

4) bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh.
Buy or die. [TKW p. 213, PK]

5) bIDIlbe'chugh, vaj bIHegh.
Pay or die. [PK]

Compared with these three distinct usages there are 38 distinct usages of
{-chugh} without {vaj}.
Canon significantly favors {-chugh} without {vaj}.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level