tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 27 09:04:45 2005

Re: Quick and easy question...

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

QeS lagh:
> > why do you think {ropyaH} "infirmary" might be too vague to use?
> > I'm not trying to shoot you down, I'm just wondering. The word was used in
> > ST6 with exactly the translation you're looking for: {ropyaH yIghuHmoH}
> > "alert sick bay!"

lay'tel SIvten:
>While the Klingon phrase is as you say, the phrase is not subtitled (at
>least, not in my copy of the movie).  So "sickbay" is not a canon
>interpretation of {ropyaH}.  In this case, "infirmary" works as well.

The ST6 phrase is the only use of {ropyaH} in canon, albeit untranslated
even in closed captions.  Still, it was the {ropyaH} aboard a
warship:  Gorkon's flagship Kronos One.  BTW, the sick bay on the Rotarran
(Gen. Martok's K'Vort-class BoP) was called the "medical ward" in DS9
"Soldiers of the Empire".  IIRC I've also heard "med bay" used.

>BTW, is there any difference between a sickbay and an infirmary?

Sickbay is just the naval version of an infirmary, found on ships other
than special-purpose hospital ships.  The term is sometimes used for any
shore-bound infirmary on a naval base (where Navy buildings - especially
barracks - sometimes have "decks", "hatches", "overheads" and "racks"
instead of floors, doors, ceilings and beds/bunks used by landlubbers).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level