tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 10 07:17:53 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: to'waQ (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, June 10, 2005.
>
>Category: Body Parts
>
>Klingon word:   to'waQ
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     ligament, tendon

As used in canon:

   to'waQ meQ vutwI'
   The cook burns the tendon. KGT

   to'waQ mIQ vutwI'
   The cook deep-fries the tendon. KGT

>Additional Notes:
>KGT p. 88, as food.

   While tendon or ligament ({to'waQ}) that has been deep-fried
   is one of the few hot dishes enjoyed by most Klingons, burnt
   tendon is definitely a culinary gaffe."  [KGT 191]

Note the idiom: {to'waQ yIv} "chew ligament":

   This is an idiomatic way of saying "take some time to consider
   a matter." The origins of the phrase are unknown, but the imagery
   makes sense, since even with Klingon teeth, to chew ({yIv})gummy
   ligament or tendon ({to'waQ}) takes longer than to chew most
   other types of food. The expression may be used as a command,
   as in {to'waQ yIyIv!} ("Chew ligament!"--that is, "Take your
   time thinking about it!") or as a statement, often with the verb
   suffix {-taH} ("continuous"), implying an ongoing activity, as in
   {to'waQ vIyIvtaH} ("I'm chewing ligament"--that is, "I'm in the
   process of taking my time considering the matter"). Though not
   necessarily derogatory, it is frequently used with negative
   connotations: {to'waQ yIyIvQo'; DaH yIwuq!} ("Don't chew ligament;
   decide now!") or {HoD QaQbe' ghaH; reH to'waQ yIv} ("He/she is not
   a good captain).  [KGT 119]

Cf. also {Somraw} "muscle".

--
Voragh