tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 10 10:14:50 2005

Re: motlhnISqa'moH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

christoph.pichlmann wrote:

>It is supposed to mean "Because HTML needs to become a standard again."
>
>Also, I used "motlh" in absence of a word for "Standard" - is there any
>better?  Standard as in "predefined", not as in "common, usual".

That's the word.  {motlh} "be usual, be normal" was in fact used to
translate "standard" on SkyBox card S14:

   nISwI' HIch motlh HoS Hal qengwI' naQ tIq je lurarlu'bogh 'oH
    tlhIngan nISwI' beH'e'
   The Klingon disruptor rifle is a standard hand held disruptor,
    attached to an extended power supply stock.

and used similarly in the Bird-of-Prey Poster:

   qughDo motlh:  pIvlob vagh
   Normal Cruising Speed - Warp 5  [i.e. "standard speed"]

and in KGT (p.94):

   If a dish with a standard preparation technique (a {nay' motlh},
   "usual dish") is being offered, asking how it is to be prepared
   is a demonstration of cultural ignorance.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level