tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 02 16:09:57 2005

re:More on Ray Charles

William H. Martin ([email protected])

I've gotten in a tad late on this discussion and I'm still having technical
difficulties subscribing. If this succeeds in getting through, I just want
to suggest that perhaps the verb suffix {-mo'} is not the best way to
handle the translation of "You don't know the one who dreams of you at
night".

You've worked on variations around:

{Hoch ram SoHmo' najbogh nuv DaSovbe'}

Meanwhile, I don't dream because of you. Before I met you, I dreampt and I
was going to continue to dream anyway, even if we had never met. You don't
cause me to dream of you.

But since we've met, you fascinate me, and because of this fascination, I
always dream ABOUT you.

What does it mean to dream about someone? How can you say that in Klingon?

Hoch ram najtaHvIS wa' nuv neH, reH DuqeltaH lut. najwI'vam Dangu'laHbe'.

This makes clear that there is only one person for which the story in the
dream always considers you. Klingon often uses multiple sentences to
express what we say in a single sentence in English. In this case, the two
sentences are clearly linked with the words {naj} and {najwI'}.

Back to archive top level