tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 19 08:18:53 2005

Re: bIQ'a' wIghoSchugh...

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

lay'tel SIvten:
> > ...I wanted to say "The body becomes in the water",
> > meaning that it wasn't in the water before, but then
> > it is.

ghunchu'wI':
>That sounds like a job for a Type 2 verb suffix.

Type 3 actually.

lay'SIv:
> > But using {moj} doesn't seem to be a good way to say that.

ghunchu'wI':
>{moj} is for objects which undergo a change of status or identity.
>For a simple change in location, {'oHchoH} works.

Agreed, but don't forget to use {-taH} for locations:

   wej jaj qaStaHvIS bIQDaq 'oHtaH porgh'e'
   the body has been in the water for three days

   DaHjaj po bIQDaq 'oHchoHtaH porgh'e'
   the body appeared/turned up in the water this morning

A small caveat:  I've never seen {-choH} on a pronoun-as-verb.  Okrand says
that:

   Suffixes of this type indicate that the action described by
   the verb involves a change of some kind from the state of
   affairs that existed before the action took place. (TKD 37)

In fact, all of our examples of {-choH} are only on action verbs or
qualities.  OTOH you certainly can add a Type 9 syntactic marker suffix to
a pronoun-as-verb plus {-taH}:

   jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'
   I'm lost. TKD

I'm just not sure whether you can add {-choH} "change in
state/direction".  Is being in a location a "state" in grammatical terms,
particularly since Klingon has no "to be" verb?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level