tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 19 08:16:05 2005

Re: comparative as question

teresh000 ([email protected])

From: [email protected]

>In a message dated 7/19/2005 7:56:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>[email protected] writes:

>> >But now that you've suggested it:
>> >raSvam'e' raSvetlh'e' je, nuq tIn law' latlh tIn puS?
>>
>> I like it. I *really* like it.
>>
>> Savan,
>>
>> QeS lagh
>>

>'e' vIparHa'qu' je jIH.

>lay'tel SIvten

'ach vIparqu'.  I don't have any problem with the
{raSvam'e' raSvelth'e' je} part, but the rest just looks
wrong.  The {latlh} seems the wrong choice: ?"which one
is the big one, the other is the small one".  I'd
repeat the {nuq} if I was going to use this: ?"which one
is the big one, which one is the small one".  Mixing an
interrogative and a positive like this just looks weird.

That initial {nuq} seems wrong, too. I realize that
it can fit in the N slot, since it's a noun, but it's
really being used like an adjective: "as for this table
and that table, _which one_ is the big one...". And we
know from MO's past comments that you can't use {nuq}
with an adjectival meaning like that.  This is what
led him to come up with the {X yIngu'} formula, because
you couldn't use {nuq} to mean "which?".

I sent an alternative at the beginning of this thread that
I don't think ever made it to the list. If it did, I
apologize for repeating myself.  How about:

tIn raSvam. 'ach tInqu''a' raSvetlh?

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level