tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 18:53:44 2005

Sa'HutwIj [HI/yI]chop

In a message dated 2005-01-06 5:22:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> > Which is correct: {{Sa'HutwIj HIchop}} pagh {{Sa'HutwIj yIchop}}?
> >
> > Personally, I prefer the former, because if you bite my arse, you are, in
> > effect, biting me, though I can see a possibility for it to be considered
> > ungrammatical.
>
> You are not a body part.  The second sentence is correct.

jIQochbe'.  lugh mu'tlhegh cha'DIch, 'ach pIm meqwIj.
If the first sentence were right, it would have two distinct and unconjoined
direct objects, which is most likely a no-no.  If such direct objects are
allowed, then the prefix is wrong, because it would have to be the 1st person
plural object prefix - {gho-} - to reflect the combination of "it" (Sa'Hut) and
"me".

lay'tel SIvten
tetlhmaj cheghpu'mo' SuStel jIQuch.

Back to archive top level