tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 07:43:14 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: yonmoH (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, January 7, 2005.

Klingon word:   yonmoH
Part of Speech: verb
Definition:     satisfy

Never used in canon, but this probably works like {belmoH} "please":

  qabelmoH'a'?
  Do I please you? (i.e. "Do you like me?") PK

Cp. the intransitive {yon} "be satisfied".

Cf. also {bel} "be pleased" and {belHa'} "be displeased" (implying *{yonHa'} "be dissatisfied"). There's also the noun {bel} "pleasure, joy", which suggests there *might* exist a similar, if unattested, noun *{yon} "satisfaction". (But if there is, Maltz hasn't mentioned it yet.)

"Satisfaction" in KGT:

  The Klingon word {maj} is an exclamation expressing satisfac-
  tion, generally translated as simply "good," and functioning
  as a sentence in its own right. (KGT 120)

  The [slang] word {chong} may also be used as an exclamation
  expressing approval or satisfaction, somewhat like standard
  {maj} ("good"). (KGT 148)

  Food also resembles music in that if it affects one in an
  especially positive way--that is, if the food particularly
  satisfies the eater--one may say DuQ Soj ("The food stabs
  him/her")." (KGT 84)

  Someone unsatisfied with the status quo, a rebel, might be
  said to want to {ngup qaD} ("challenge those in charge";
  literally, "challenge the cape"). (KGT 157)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level