tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 17 11:45:34 2005

SoQ'a'! ('ach SoQHom? 'e' tInoH!)

Raik Lorenz ([email protected])

{HIvan! (qoj tuvanQo' tuvanneHbe'DI'. <mon>)}

This march, hopefully a project will start involving major passages of
Klingon speech being offered to a select drama audience here in Leipzig
during a trash production of a Schiller play, namely "Wilhelm Tell" (Is
there an English translation of it around?)!

I'm in the team due to personal acquaintance to the director and some of the
staff. It is kind of a freelance project of students going to be performed
in an independent (i.e., not publicly funded) theatre, and it is yet
unclear, how sure we can be to succeed in performing it at all. (Don't
bother, I'm not asking anyone on this list for money... {monqu'})
Now comes the tricky part: My task in the project is to translate the role
of Stauffacher (a major, but not THE major character) into Klingon, after a
cut edition of the piece has been accomplished (by the director, her
assistant and maybe I can get some influence on this, too.).

So why is this tricky? Well - first, it's going to take lots of my time and
thus I'd like to ask some of you (who could spare some of their.
Second - and this is the major cause of me writing this here mail - I would
like to know how I have to secure myself legally not to be accusable of any
kind of copyright breach or something: After all it is Klingon spoken on
stage within a public show. None of the actors is going to be a professional
- the project is not so big as that we could afford that. But may Klingon be
used in that way? I'm slightly confident, as nowhere in the play the lexeme
"Klingon" or derived words actually appear. }};-)
(Third - Just perchance, has anyone here some accomplished version of that
play's Klingon translation in his drawer, which I might use as a hint for my
translation? ... just an idea.)

So those are my {cha' DarSeqHom} for today.
I know what you're probably thinking - Whenever a posting from this guy
[i.e., me] flutters into our mailboxes, this means, {SuvwI' rolDaq, nargh
wa' latlh jIb chIS.} But I just want to live {tlhIngan Hol} the way it
deserves to be lived according to my personal attitude.
{neH, tunobneSbogh QaHHom vIpIH vInID.}

vaj, Satlho'qu' 'ej Savan.
Qapla'!
-- qIno'rIq

PS: Just BTW, I will also have to be the one to enact Stauffacher due to the
very small chance to find someone else being able to pronounce Klingon AND
having the intention to do so before audience, audience maybe not provided
with the auspicious {tlhIngan Hol} listener handkerchief ... }}:-)

--
DSL Komplett von GMX +++ Supergünstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Back to archive top level