tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 17 11:51:06 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: qompogh (noun)

Russ Perry Jr ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

"Raik Lorenz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> ...Paul wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 [email protected] wrote:
>>> Klingon word:   qompogh
>>> Definition:     type of food

>> Hmm.  "qompogh" as in 'compost'?  :P

> Maybe more like in the German "Kompott", which is, to my native
> speaker knowledge, some type of dessert consisting of fruit in
> its own juice, mainly.

It's in English too, as "compote", which is fruit in syrup.

> If there's a pun intendet, it's probably pretty restrictedly
> understandable, as meseems "Kompott" to be a regionally
> restricted - i.e. there where I come from - vocabulary item
> of German (whoever speaking German on this list knows better
> - feel free to teach me better!).

I don't know German better, but...

The words seems to come from Old French (and that from Latin) as
a lot of cooking/food terms seem to be, but I'm not sure if the
German word does too...  See definition (1) at:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=compote
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    [email protected] [NEW!]  VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||