tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 07 17:15:44 2005

Re: translation help

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' DloraH:

>"Jesus" is a name (or rather, the modern transliteration of a
>transliteration... of his name), so I would use his name in that spot.  I
>personnally would try to go back to the original pronunciation.

{yeSuwa'} vIchup.

>Many people use "Christ" as part of his name, but it actually means "The
>Anointed, synonymous with the Hebrew "Messiah".  What was used in the KLI
>bible project?

jISovbe'; 'ach chaq {yeSuwa' quvqu'moHbogh Qun} "Jesus, whom God honours"
{yeSuwa' wIvta'bogh Qun} "Jesus, whom God has chosen" ghap lo'laH.

>"hymns" ... "song" /bom/.  Or if you want to get picky /bom quv/, but in
>the
>context I believe the /quv/ is not necessary on /bom/.

Agreed; I think the presence of {chIrgh} in the sentence is sufficient to
show that these aren't everyday entertainment.

>To me saints are just some highly honorable humans.  There are some people
>that treat them more like QunHompu'.  The dictionary says "A person
>sanctified; a holy or godly person; one eminent for piety and virtue; any
>true Christian, as being redeemed and consecrated to God."

If I understand Mormonism correctly, they believe that if you've done the
right things during life, you can become almost divine yourself in the
afterlife. Perhaps {QunHompu'} isn't far from the mark if this is the case.

>Hmm, we have "recently" (adv), but not a "recent" (verb).

Perhaps {chu'} "be new", in the sense that they're "newly" sainted? ter'eS's
use of {DaHjaj} is probably as close as we'll get, although the way I
understand {DaHjaj} is only in its literal sense: "today". {Qup} "be young"
probably isn't the right word. I find it interesting that we do have {tIQ}
"be ancient", but no word for "be modern, be recent".

Savan,

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Find love today with ninemsn personals. Click here:
http://ninemsn.match.com?referrer=hotmailtagline

Back to archive top level