tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 01 09:33:55 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: na' (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, January 30, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   na'
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     be sure, definite, positive, certain (slang)
>
>Synonyms: bej
>Homonyms:
>     na' (verb) - be salty, brackish (slang)

As discussed in KGT:

   The word {na'} literally means "be salty", but its slang
   usage is probably influenced by the noun suffix {-na'}
   ("definite"), which is used when the speaker wants to indi-
   cate that he or she is absolutely sure about what is being
   said (compare {maghwI'} "traitor", and {maghwI'na'} "definite
   traitor, without a doubt a traitor"). The slang word, a verb,
   is used in such constructions as {jIna'} ("I am positive
   [about something I just said]"; literally, "I am salty"] and
   {bIna''a'} ("Are you sure?"; literally, "Are you salty?").
   These kinds of meanings may be expressed without using slang
   by employing such verbs as {Honbe'} ("not doubt") or {Sovbej}
   ("know for certain"). See also {bej}, a slang term with simi-
   lar meaning.   [KGT 156-57]

   Unlike the verb {na'} ("be salty"), which has an identical
   slang meaning (see below), the verb {bej} may be used when
   there is an object: {HIvrup 'e' vIbej} ("I am positive they're
   ready to attack"; literally, "I watch that they're ready to
   attack"). The notions expressed by {bej} can be conveyed with-
   out slang with a word such as {Honbe'} ("not doubt") or by
   making use of the verb suffix {-bej}, as in {HIvrupbej}
   ("They're certainly ready to attack").   [KGT 145]

Cf. also the non-slang noun {DIch} "certainty".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level