tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 01 10:20:32 2005

RE: Klingon WOTD: na' (verb)

d'Armond Speers, Ph.D. ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

> >This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, January 30, 2005.
> >
> >Klingon word:   na'
> >Part of Speech: verb
> >Definition:     be sure, definite, positive, certain (slang)
> >
> >Synonyms: bej
> >Homonyms:
> >     na' (verb) - be salty, brackish (slang)
>
> As discussed in KGT:
>
>    The word {na'} literally means "be salty", but its slang
>    usage is probably influenced by the noun suffix {-na'}
>    ("definite"), which is used when the speaker wants to indi-
>    cate that he or she is absolutely sure about what is being
>    said (compare {maghwI'} "traitor", and {maghwI'na'} "definite
>    traitor, without a doubt a traitor").

Please note, as was pointed out to me, the "salty, brackish" meaning is
*not* slang; I have it mis-labeled as slang above.

> Voragh

--Holtej
tlhIngan Hol mailing list FAQ:
http://www.speers.nu/Holtej/klingon/faq.htm