tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 25 22:14:22 2005

RE: *QISmaS!

DloraH ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

>   My name is Phil.  I'm a primary school teacher from London,
> England and a student of mediaeval European languages.  I'm a
> newcomer to this wonderful language having received the
> Klingon dictionary as a christmas gift.

Welcome Phil.  I am known as DloraH.

> Any help and advice offered would be gratefully appreciated.

I will let the offical grammarian handle your first attempt at using the
language; but basicly some common advice is to read through the dictionary
(refered to on this list as TKD), and then ... read through it again.  Post
some sentences and we will point you in the right direction.  And then a big
word of advice, once you get a decent grasp of the basics, do NOT jump into
trying to translate poetry or songs or some great epic like the Iliad.
Create stories of your own.  It will be hard enough to manipulate the
language to communicate what YOU want, much less trying to express the
thoughts hidden in someone else's poetry in a language you barely know.

Also, there is another book, Klingon for the Galactic Traveler (KGT).
Additional vocabulary and explainations of the cultural backgrounds that
help bring the language to life.

Then when you think you're ready there is "Hamlet" (Hamlet), "Much Ado About
Nothing" (paghmo' tIn mIS), and for something a little more beginner
friendly, "The Epic of Gilgamesh" (ghIlghameS).

DloraH

https://65.13.120.12:80/tlhIngan/

Back to archive top level