tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 31 19:31:18 2005

Re: Miranda Warning

QeS lagh ([email protected])

chuppu' DloraH, ja':
>bIjatlhQo' net chaw'.

jang Voragh:
>bItamtaH net chaw'.
>"You are permitted to remain silent. It is allowed for you to remain
>silent."

To stay faithful to the original, I'd probably go for {bItamtaH...} as well.

>Don't forget the noun {DIb} "privilege, right".  Our only known example is
>the {bortaS DIb} "Right of Vengeance" (KGT).  You might preface it with
>something like {DIbmeyvam Daghaj [net Sov]} "You have the following
>rights".

So would, say, {bItammeH DIb Daghaj} "you have the privilege of/for
remaining silent" work?

ja' DloraH:
>chut bo'DIjDaq Dapumlu'meH, vay' Dajatlhbogh lulo'lu'.

jang Voragh:
>"In order to accuse you in a law court, anything that you say will be
>used."
>Maybe {nImaghlaH mu'meylIj} "your words can betray you"?

I like that.

>Drop {chut}.  Historically we say "court of law" to distinguish it from a
>king's court, where political criminals were also tried in ages past.  In
>Klingon the distinction seems to be between {bo'DIj} "court"  (civilian??)
>vs. {ghIpDIj} "court martial".  In Klingon terms, {meqba'} may actually be
>better since the *mek'ba* is that portion of a Klingon trial or appeal in
>which evidence is heard, such as "anything you say".

Very well put. I would have said {qaStaHvIS meqba' mu'mey Dajatlhbogh
lulo'lu'} "the words that you say will be used in a mek'ba" since, by
definition, the {meqba'} is part of a trial anyway.

(...)

ja' DloraH:
>If you decide to talk without an attorney present, you may request an
>attorney at any time during the questioning.
>SaHbe'taHvIS cha'DIch bIjatlhchoHchugh, Dayu'lu'taHvIS SaHchoH cha'DIch 'e'
>DapoQ net chaw'.

jang Voragh:
>Nice use of {yu'} "interrogate".

It's not a verb we see very often, is it? {{:)

jatlhtaH Voragh:
>[BTW, did you notice that the preferred choice of the police is the last
>option?]

Dumer'a'? {{:)

Savan,

QeS la'