tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 31 07:35:10 2005

Re: pongmey

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 03:17 PM Tuesday 8/30/2005, naHQun wrote:

>These are the names I've been able to find so far. I've listed the
>tlhIngan Hol & English spellings and labled them either male or female. If
>any one has any additional information on the names, or if I've left any
>out, let me know.

I have a few more...

>barot-Barot-?

probably male (i.e. his father):  tI'vIS barot puqloD T'vis, son of Barot
(KGT 182)

I don't believe we've ever seen the mother's name for Y in "X son/daughter
of Y" names.  (Though if unremarked, how can we be sure?)

barbara' ma'rIch  Barbara March (i.e. "Lursa") STC

>be'etor-B'Etor-female
>bIl jo'rIj-Bill George-male
>cheng-Chang-male

Day  Di (female):  DaH nuq ta'pu' Day joH What has Lady Di done now? (RTb)

>DuraS-Duras-male
>ghawran-Gowron-male
>ghIrIlqa'-Grilka-female

ghI'boj  G'boj (person or place?): ghI'boj Sech "the Torch of G'boj is one
of the most revered historical objects in the Empire, though exactly why is
seldom revealed to outsiders." (KGT 130)

ghuwI'nItlh wa'lIS  Gwynyth Walsh (i.e. "B'Etor") STC

HenrI' Henry:  "In Shakespeare's original Klingon version of {HenrI' vagh},
known in Federation Standard as Henry V..." (KGT 126)

>HuS-Huss-female

jan qalI'qoS  John Colicos (i.e. "Kor") STC

>janluq pIqarD-Jean-Luc Picard-male
>lurSa'-Lursa-female
>mara-Mara-female
>martaq-Martok-male
>matlh-Maltz-male

mayqel 'anSa'ra  Michael Ansara (i.e. "Kang") STC

mayqel Do'rIn  Michael Dorn (i.e. "Worf") STC

>mellota'-Melota-?

I've assumed mellota' is a female name and 'aqtu' is her male lover, but it
could be the other way around.

   Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je yIqaw
   When you begin a mission, remember Aktuh and Mellota. TKW

Indeed.  There's a sound file of the famous love duet from Klingon opera
online at
<http://www.geocities.com/benasaudi/songs.html>http://www.geocities.com/benasaudi/songs.html
and at
<http://www.frontiernet.net/~rhcheesbro/de.htm>http://www.frontiernet.net/~rhcheesbro/de.htm

>mIStaq-?-?
>mogh-Mogh-male

molor  Molor (male) KGT

>nIylo roDIS-Nilo Rodis-male?

paq  Pok (male):  paq torghen puqloD Pok, son of Torghn. KCD

>qamor-Kahmor-male
>qarghan-Kargan-male
>qeng-Kang-male
>qeylIS-Kahless-male

qeylIn  Kahlin
qeylor  Kahlor:
"If you want to be even more formal, the name of the father may be used as
well... 'Kahlor, son of Kahlin, of the House of Molor' is 'Kahlor, son of
Kahlin, House of Molor' {qeylor qeylIn puqloD molor tuq}."  (st.klingon 9/97)

qeyvaq  Kayvak (male?):  "Fermented meat is also known as {qeyvaq Ha'DIbaH}
(Kayvak's food), named, for now forgotten reasons, after a famous ancient
warrior. As with hunter's and emperor's food, the specific meat is used
rather than the word {Ha'DIbaH} (meat), as in {qeyvaq lIngta'} (Kayvak's
lingta). The Kayvak naming style does not apply to fermented plants; its
use is restricted to meat." (KGT 91f)

>qImlaq-K'mlak-?
>qIrq-Kirk-male

jemS tIy qIrq  James T. Kirk:  {jemS tIy qIrq. loDHom jIHDI' qIrq qun
vIqImchoH.} James T. Kirk. I've followed his history since I was a boy.
(ST5 notes)

qI'empeq  K'mpec (HQ 10.2:9)

qolotlh  Koloth (may not be canon.  Source anyone?)

>qor-Kor-male

qoreQ  Korax

qo'leq  Ko'lek KGT

qulgh  Kulge TKW

qunI'vaS  Kunivas TKW

quwargh  Quark  STX

QaS  Kras

Qel  Krell

>Qugh-Krudge-male

Qotmagh  Krotmag (male?):  "Qotmagh, the leader of a powerful house who,
centuries ago, conquered neighboring areas" (KGT 17)

rabe'rIt 'o'raylIy  Robert O'Reilly (i.e. "Gowron") STC

raqSan bIQ-DawSon  Roxann Biggs-Dawson (i.e. "B'Ellana") STC

ruq'e'vet  Ruk'evet (male?):  "a warrior (whether actual or mythological is
a matter of dispute) who singlehandedly defeated an invading force." (KGT 17)

>tI'vIS-T'vis-?

male:  tI'vIS barot puqloD T'vis, son of Barot (KGT 182)

>torgh-Torg-?

male.  He was Kruge's first officer in ST3.

torghen  Torghn (male):  paq torghen puqloD Pok, son of Torghn. KCD

>tlha'a-Klaa-male

tlhI'yopatra' Cleopatra (female):  'antonI' tlhI'yopatra' je "Anthony and
Cleopatra" [the original Klingon version (KGT 110)

>valQIS-Valkris-female
>vIqSIS-Vixis-female
>wo'rIv-Worf-male

'antonI'  Anthony (male):  'antonI' tlhI'yopatra' je "Anthony and
Cleopatra" [the original Klingon version (KGT 110)

>'aqtu'-Aktuh-?

male?  Cf. supra {mellota'}

>'atrom-A'trom-?

probably male (i.e. her father): HuS 'atrom puqbe' Huss, daughter of A'trom
[KGT 197]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons