tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 30 10:23:04 2005

Re: FW: Miranda Warning

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

DloraH wrote:
> > I am a cop and would like help translating the "Miranda Warning" to
> > Klingon. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanx.
>
>Here is what I come up with quickly.  Any other opinions?

The mind boggles as to when this cop would need a Miranda warning in Klingon!

> > You have the right to remain silent.
>
>bIjatlhQo' net chaw'.

bItamtaH net chaw'.
"You are permitted to remain silent. It is allowed for you to remain silent."

Don't forget the noun {DIb} "privilege, right".  Our only known example is
the {bortaS DIb} "Right of Vengeance" (KGT).  You might preface it with
something like {DIbmeyvam Daghaj [net Sov]} "You have the following rights".

> > Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
>
>chut bo'DIjDaq Dapumlu'meH, vay' Dajatlhbogh lulo'lu'.

"In order to accuse you in a law court, anything that you say will be used."

Maybe {nImaghlaH mu'meylIj} "your words can betray you"?

Drop {chut}.  Historically we say "court of law" to distinguish it from a
king's court, where political criminals were also tried in ages past.  In
Klingon the distinction seems to be between {bo'DIj} "court"  (civilian??)
vs. {ghIpDIj} "court martial".  In Klingon terms, {meqba'} may actually be
better since the *mek'ba* is that portion of a Klingon trial or appeal in
which evidence is heard, such as "anything you say".

> > You have the right to consult an attorney and have that attorney present
>during questioning by police.
>
>DuqeS cha'DIch net chaw', 'ej Dayu'lu'taHvIS SaH cha'DIchvetlh net chaw'.

I like your choice of {cha'DIch} for "attorney".  Another options I've seen
on the List include {chut po'wI'} "legal expert", {chut QIjwI'} "law
explainer", {HubwI'} "[public] defender" or - my own choice - {chut qeSwI'}
"legal advisor".

> > If you decide to talk without an attorney present, you may request an
>attorney at any time during the questioning.
>
>SaHbe'taHvIS cha'DIch bIjatlhchoHchugh, Dayu'lu'taHvIS SaHchoH cha'DIch 'e'
>DapoQ net chaw'.

Nice use of {yu'} "interrogate".

> > If you are unable to afford an attorney, one will be appointed to
>represent you without charge.
>
>cha'DIch DaDIllaHbe'chugh, Du'oSmeH cha'DIch gheS vay' 'ej DaDIlnISbe'.

... Du'oSmeH cha'DIch DaDIlnISbe'bogh gheSlu'

> > Do you understand ?
>
>bIyaj'a'?

maj.

> > Do you want an attorney?
>
>cha'DIch DaneH'a'?

maj.

> > Do you wish to remain silent ?
>
>bIjatlhQo''a'?

bIjatlhQo' DaneH'a'?
"Do you wish to refuse to talk?"

bItam DaneH'a'?
"Do you wish to be silent?"

bItamtaH DaneH'a'?
"Do you wish to remain silent?" (if s/he hasn't said anything yet)

> > Do you wish to talk?
>
>jujatlhqang'a'?

bIjatlh DaneH'a'?
"Do you with to talk?"

Keeping the prefix and pattern more or less the same provides a contrast
with the previous question plus a nice rhythmic close to the whole thing:

   cha'DIch DaneH'a'?  bItam DaneH'a'?  bIjatlh DaneH'a'?

[BTW, did you notice that the preferred choice of the police is the last
option?]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons