tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 08:03:44 2005

Re: New canon? (ENT "Affliction")

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >{Qeq}      "target" (v.)

QeS la':
>This is the one that interests me the most: it shows how to use {Qeq} "to
>aim". From the sentence in the episode, {'ay'vamDaq nuHmey tIQeq}, it would
>seem that "to aim" is inherently the "causative" sense.  [....]
>Subject = aimer (a person or a device, not a weapon), direct object = thing
>(weapon) being aimed, noun + {-Daq} = target.

{Qeq} seems to work just like {bach} "shoot" and {baH} "fire":

   The verb used for {shoot} when referring to disruptors is {bach}.
   Technically speaking, one shoots the energy beam from the disruptor.
   The general word for any energy beam (ray) is {tIH}, so a disruptor's
   beam is {nISwI' tIH}. Thus, the correct formation is {nISwI' tIH bach}
   ("shoot the disruptor beam"). As a practical matter, however, the
   {tIH} is often left out, and {nISwI' bach} is the common way to say
   "shoot a disruptor". Similarly, {pu' bach} is "shoot a phaser". (KGT 56)

The direct object is the weapon (or what comes out of it:  projectile,
energy ray, torpedo, etc.); the target is marked with {-Daq}.  Examples:

   logh veQDaq bachchugh, yoH 'e' toblaHbe' SuvwI'
   Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle. (ST5 notes)

   SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna' ghurmoH naQvam
   This serves to steady the aim of a warrior and increase the effective
   range for distance targeting. S14

   pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach
   Curse well!  TKW
   ["'Shoot curses forcefully!' Curses are considered a weapon of a sort
    which must be propelled to their targets." (TKW 148)]

   cha yIbaH qara'DI'
   qara'DI' cha yIbaH
   Fire the torpedoes at my command. TKD

   Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta' ['entepray']
   "Enterprise fired on Kronos One..." ST6

   nISwI': cha' chang'engmey (telDaq lujomlu', nItebHa' lubaHlu')
   Disruptor - 2 Pairs (Wing Mounted, Fire Linked) KBoP

>                                                        So, one wouldn't -
>or couldn't? - say *{ghaHDaq Qeq nISwI' HIch} "the disruptor pistol is
>aiming at him", but {ghaHDaq nISwI' HIch Qeq yaS} "the officer is aiming the
>disruptor pistol at him" (or "the officer is causing the disruptor pistol to
>aim at him").

The latter.  {Qeq} "aim [a weapon]" is transitive; the subject is the one
using the weapon, the object is the weapon itself:

   'otlh peng Qeqchu'
   He aims the photon torpedo perfectly. PK

   yIQeqQo' neH. DoS yIqIp
   Don't just aim; hit the target! TKW

   'oy'naQ DaQeqDI' mIw wa'DIch Data'...
   When you aim the painstik, you accomplish the first step... KGT

And with the "Affliction" example, we know that the target is marked with
{-Daq}.

OTOH, {puS} "sight (with gunsight)" works differently:

   tlha'a HoD, DoS wIpuStaH
   Captain Klaa, we have a target in sight. ST5

It's object is the target {DoS}, not marked with {-Daq}; the weapon or
targeting device is understood from context.  Another translation of {puS}
might well be "to target (something)":

   ya, jagh Duj yIpuS.  cha yIghuS!
   Tactical (officer), target enemy vessel. Stand by (on) torpedoes!

> >{ngaQmoH}  "secure/lock (something)" (v.)
> >{wuqHa'}   "commute" (lit. "un-decide", i.e. revoke a decision) (v.)
> >{jol Quv}  "transport site" (lit. "transporter coordinates" (n.)
>
>These three seem pretty self-explanatory - although I must say I really like
>the use of {wuqHa'} in this sense.

Me too.  In fact, it was this imaginative translation - plus the rarely
used prefix {tu-} - that made me think of Okrand immediately.  Had someone
else translated the line, s/he would probably have used {qIl} "cancel" from
TKD.

>Do we have a source for the info on Memory Alpha?

No, and I wondered about that too.  You can read the page yourself
(http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Affliction), but I couldn't see anything
else regarding the language.  The site is pretty thorough, if not
officially sponsored by Paramount, so I think we can rely on it.  Did
anyone at qep'a' ask Okrand about this episode and the good Klingon spoken
by Brent Spiner in "The Augments"?  (The consensus seems to be that Okrand
translated that too, but I don't remember if it's been confirmed.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level