tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 18 16:33:32 2005

Re: New canon? (ENT "Affliction")

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh:

>But for the bit after Marab was shot, I think I've got it all.  (Oddly,
>there was no tlhIngan Hol used in the second part "Divergence" IIRC.)
>Except for {loHwI'} "magistrate" - the derived noun from {loH} "administer"
>(BTW we've heard of Klingon magistrates before in ENTERPRISE.) - there are
>no new words but there are a couple of extended meanings and suffixed
>forms:

>{Qeq}      "target" (v.)

This is the one that interests me the most: it shows how to use {Qeq} "to
aim". From the sentence in the episode, {'ay'vamDaq nuHmey tIQeq}, it would
seem that "to aim" is inherently the "causative" sense. So, one wouldn't -
or couldn't? - say *{ghaHDaq Qeq nISwI' HIch} "the disruptor pistol is
aiming at him", but {ghaHDaq nISwI' HIch Qeq yaS} "the officer is aiming the
disruptor pistol at him" (or "the officer is causing the disruptor pistol to
aim at him").

Subject = aimer (a person or a device, not a weapon), direct object = thing
(weapon) being aimed, noun + {-Daq} = target.

>{ngaQmoH}  "secure/lock (something)" (v.)
>{wuqHa'}   "commute" (lit. "un-decide", i.e. revoke a decision) (v.)
>{jol Quv}  "transport site" (lit. "transporter coordinates" (n.)

These three seem pretty self-explanatory - although I must say I really like
the use of {wuqHa'} in this sense.

Do we have a source for the info on Memory Alpha?

Savan,

QeS la'
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

REALESTATE: biggest buy/rent/share listings
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level