tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 23:53:45 2005

Re: New canon? (ENT "Affliction")

QeS lagh ([email protected])

jIja'pu':
>This is the one that interests me the most: it shows how to use {Qeq} "to
>aim". From the sentence in the episode, {'ay'vamDaq nuHmey tIQeq}, it would
>seem that "to aim" is inherently the "causative" sense.
[.....]
>Subject = aimer (a person or a device, not a weapon), direct object = thing
>(weapon) being aimed, noun + {-Daq} = target.

mujang Voragh, ja':
>{Qeq} seems to work just like {bach} "shoot" and {baH} "fire":

Makes sense.

jIja'taH:
>These three seem pretty self-explanatory - although I must say I really
>like
>the use of {wuqHa'} in this sense.

mujang Voragh, ja':
>Me too.  In fact, it was this imaginative translation - plus the rarely
>used prefix {tu-} - that made me think of Okrand immediately.  Had someone
>else translated the line, s/he would probably have used {qIl} "cancel" from
>TKD.

Yep, that's also what I thought, along with the correct usage of the
imperative prefixes {pe-} and {tI-}: particularly because, in my experience,
using {yI-} where {tI-} is appropriate is one of the more common beginners'
errors.

Savan,

QeS la'
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian