tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 24 13:15:52 2004

Re: De'wI'wIj vIngu'; pagh vIngu''a'? (Re:

Lieven L. Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

ghItlh Voragh:

> True.  But this episode was about Data's legal status within Starfleet.

Not only. I remember yelling Picard "What is he?... Is he a machine?!"

> Although the episode did present similar arguments to this whole "talking
> computers" thread, it is irrelevant to the Klingon language.

jIQochbe'qu'chu'.

> However, Worf's attitude to Data might be instructive.  Did Worf ever
> refer to Data as "it" or did he avoid the issue by using Data's name
> instead of a pronoun?

I dunno. Most of the episodes I've seen in German, where also things have
genders, so a computer is always a "he".

> I agee.  But this whole "talking computer" thread may well be moot.

mu'vetlh vISovbe'. yIQIj qoj yImugh.
'a jatlhbogh De'wI' wIqelmo' ram wanI' 'e' DaHarchugh vaj jIQochbe'.
ngoDvammo' naDev tlhIngan Hol vIlo'. vaj lI'choH QIn.

> we've never seen (or rather heard) a Klingon computer that speaks.

I have a Klingon talking clock on my computer ;-)
De'wI'wIjDaq tlhIngan Hol jatlhbogh tlhaq vIghaj.

Quvar.

Back to archive top level