tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 23 07:29:19 2004

Re: suggestions please

"Lady K'Lyssia" :
> >I want to give my dragon a Klingon name - some
> >embodying the ideas of writing, fire and warriors.

ghunchu'wI':
>Here are a few words which might be relevant.
>
>qul - fire

That's the noun.  {laQ} "fire (ignite?)" and {meQ} "burn (be burnt/on
fire?)" are verbs.

>vaj - warrior (as a concept, not an individual)

SuvwI' - warrior, fighter (as an individual)

>lung - lizard

Some people have used *{lung'a'} for the much larger and ferocious "dragon"
and even "dinosaur".

Here's some more info about {lung} "loong (type of lizardlike animal)":

   Although {lung} is translated as "lizard", it actually can refer
   to any animal of that general shape, such as a newt or salamander.
   (MO's KCD audio)

   The small eggs of the Tokvirian skink ({toqvIr lung}), however, are
   often eaten whole, shell and all, usually by the handful." (KGT 88)

   {lung Qu'} (Operation Dragon; a {lung} is not really a dragon, but
   that is a close approximation) (KGT 49)

   pun: *lung* is Chinese for "dragon"

>tel - wing

Also {ghISDen} "scales", {tlhuQ} "tail", {pach} "claw, talon" and {Ho'}
"tooth" (pl. {Ho'Du'} "teeth") are useful WRT parts of a dragon.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level