tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 20 11:02:47 2004

Re: Gray Area

Lawrence M. Schoen ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

>Got a problem:
>
>Friday, I got a manuscript to review: "The Klingon Grammar" by a
>Mr.Yakhontov of St.Pete, Russia. The guy does _not_ have a copy of TKD, but
>he has gleaned the entire structure of the language along with the
>vocabulary from *HAMLET*.
 Actually, I think you  may have several problems, or your Mr. Yakhontov does.
 I have no doubt that you should immediately get in touch with the General Consul's
 office at Viacom and discuss the matter with them. If you email me privately, I will
 pass along a name and contact for the Vice President in charge of Licensing.

 It would also help to expedite things if you could put me in contact with Mr.
 Yakhontov himself, as well as his publisher. I have no doubt that the folks at Pocket
 Books would appreciate knowing what's going on, and I'm happy to play
 middle man for that as well.

 Another potential problem though is that your author has violated the copyright of
 the KLI's translation of HAMLET as well. It's hard to be sure, not knowing more
 about how he used the book to produce his own work.

 So, yes, you do have a problem, several in fact, but they can likely be worked
 through without too much pain and suffering.

 Lawrence M. Schoen, Ph.D.
 KLI Director

Back to archive top level