tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 20 09:10:11 2004

Re: Gray area

Lieven L. Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:37:24 -0500 hat Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> geschrieben:

> I vaguely recall hearing that trademark infringement is easier to protect
> than violations of copyright, which is why Paramount (and others) legally
> establish both.

Trademark is something you have to (R)egister.
The laws on trademarks are much stricter and clearer, because it's easy to
say for instance "Klingon" is a trademark. (tlhIngan is not!)

With copyright on the other hand, there are many different ways to look at
it. Copyright comes automatically, with no need to register to get it. For
instance, this email you're reading is copyrighted. Everything recorded in
some way is copyrighted. If one makes a fan production for instance - like
a lego movie - this is regarded as a parody, and they won't bother, or a
website could even be seen as a commercial for startrek and paramount.

(is muchmuchmuch more complicated than how I write it here! - one could
open a new mailing list for that topic)

> (I wonder whether the idea of translating this notice was Paramount's
> idea, or whether it was done facetiously by SkyBox and Okrand after the
> long process of getting Paramount's legal permission to publish this
> series of Trek collector cards.)

to translate the DW-world website, they needed "only" five months to say
that we may do it. :-/

Quvar.

Back to archive top level