tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 15 07:52:07 2004

just use it! (Re: jIb

In a message dated 2004-09-15 10:20:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> if you want to talk about a single strand of
> hair, go ahead and use {wa' jIb}. If anyone has objections, they will raise
> them, then you know that {wa' jIb} doesn't work for communicating the idea
> of a single strand. The only way to learn Klingon is to use it. Did you
> learn how to use a computer by cataloging each and every feature? Or did you
> sit down in front of one and start typing?
>
> [pause for answer]
>
> Exactly....
>
> If you are trying to document *everything* about the language, you are going
> to drive yourself nuts, and learn nothing in the process. We don't know that
> much about this language, so use it as *you* are comfortable using it. Write
> a letter in Klingon, compose a story, translate some sentences and post them
> to KLBC. If you screw up, you will be told about it. Promise. And you'll get
> a much better feel for the language than all the analysis in the world can
> give you.
>
> Now, let's see some Klingon... }}: )
>
> --ngabwI'

My impression is that this is a minor slam against the cumulative effect of
several months of my posts.  In any case, that's how I'm taking it.
/begin rant/ In case you haven't noticed, I have been posting in Klingon,
whenever I feel that the effort is worth it.  I do use Klingon a lot more than is
evident from this list.  I read whatever Klingon I can find, especially
*non*canon, because there is so much more of it.  This is also one reason I've been
slogging my way through the archive.

However, I am coming to realize that many of the questions I have are
pointless to ask, because the canon-based answer is "maSovbe'".  But I want to know
how other Klingon speakers use the language, not just what the canon use is.
Your answer about {wa' jIb} being the exception, most of the fluent speakers
here resist giving their take on a word.  They don't like answering "how do you
say...?".   It's frustrating.  I feel like I have to invent the wheel over and
over again, in the process wasting a lot of time.  I had already come to the
same conclusion that you suggested:  just use the language; say what I want,
how I want, and leave it up to the listener to decide if it's unclear or not.
In other words, anything goes, *until* you ask about it.  Then it's "Oh, no,
that's not supported by canon."  There's a huge amount of noncanon text
(compared to the amount of canon text).  I still haven't figured out why so little
attention is paid to it./end rant/

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level