tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 20 06:06:27 2004

Re: how long is it?, etc.

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:
>What other questions of this type have we seen?  This example looks like a
>Question-As-Object, and is therefore controversial at best.

I'm pretty sure we have no canon using a question word as a relative
pronoun.

taH:
>Although I don't have any canon examples similar to it, the sentence above
>could (perhaps) be given better as
>{'uj mI' 'abbogh yIngu'!} - Identify the number of uj it measures!
This isn't a bad idea, but do we know whether {mI'} means "number (quantity
or amount)" or "number (figure or digit)"? If the second is the case, as I
suspect, I think {'uj mI' 'abbogh} isn't what we're looking for.

taH:
>The word 'when' as a question is {ghorgh}; as a conjunction it's {-DI'}.
>The other question words may have similar corresponding terms that we don't
>know yet.
English interrogative "who" = Klingon {'Iv}: "Who ate the gagh?" - qagh Sop
'Iv?
English relative "who" = Klingon {-bogh}: "the man who ate the gagh" - qagh
Sopbogh loD

The comparison between English "what" and "which" is much messier and less
easy to describe, but in Klingon is similar to the above: {nuq} versus
{-bogh}.

>Or not.
I'd guess that we've already got all the affixes we're going to get.

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Sell your car for $9 on carpoint.com.au