tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 19 16:20:47 2004

Re: how long is it?, etc.

QeS lagh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu':
>'m not sure whether you can use {'ar} without a modified noun to support
>it. If I were saying this myself, I'd rather expand on it: {'ar 'uj 'ab}

mujang Voragh:
>Okrand in TKD (p.70)
>   {'ar} "how many? how much?" follows the noun to which it refers.
>   It can never follow a noun with a plural suffix.
>     {Haw'pu' yaS 'ar} "How many officers fled?"
>     {nIn 'ar wIghaj}  "How much fuel do we have?"
>Thus {'uj 'ar...}

ghuy'cha'! DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.

jIghItlhtaH:
>"how many uj long is it?", {'ar qelI'qam 'ab He} "how many kellicams long
>is the road?".

jangtaH Voragh:
>{qelI'qam 'ar...}

qul vIchennISqa'moHlaw'. {{:) QaghmeywIj choSovmoHta'mo' qatlho'.

>I don't think you can say {nuq 'ab} "what does it measure?"  You may have
>to use {ngu'} with a relative clause as we've seen in other questions of
>this type:
>    'uj 'ar 'abbogh yIngu'!
>    Identify how many ujes it measures!

My turn to nitpick now. {{:P Being a question word, can we use {'ar} as a
relative pronoun in this way? I would have thought something like {'uj
'abbogh tItogh} "count the ujes it measures!", or even just {yIjuv} "Measure
it!". But your point remains the same, and I agree completely: {nuq 'ab}
looks strange.

Savan.

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level