tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 15 07:40:34 2004

Re: "Enterprise" lines

Having a TiVo, our television watching often bears little relationship to
the broadcast schedule.  We typically watch Enterprise Sunday afternoon.  I
had my son pause and replay Soong's lines as I listened without looking at
the subtitles.  I heard this:

  quv lughaj Archer qoDbeqDaj je
  lengDaq 'e' yIchaw'

  "Archer and his inside-crew have honor."
  "Permit him to [sic] travel."

My son was impressed by 1) my coming so close to what the subtitles said,
and 2) the fact that the lines were understandable in the first place.

About an hour later, I suddenly realized that what I heard as {qoD} was
supposed to be {HoD}.  A few minutes after that, I decided that Spiner's
pronunciation of {H} was consistent, and {lengDaq} was really {lengtaH}.

  quv lughaj Archer HoD beqDaj je
  lengtaH 'e' yIchaw'

  "Captain Archer and his crew have honor."
  "Permit that they continue to travel."

Later, we turned on closed captioning and confirmed that to be correct.

[Tangentially, I had just watched the first few minutes of the DS9 episode
"Blood Oath" a few days earlier.  Kor was in the holosuite reenacting the
Battle of Klach D'kel Brakt -- the location where Soong intended to take
the Augments.]

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level