tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 05 11:35:28 2004

{QI'yaH} heard in ENTERPRISE

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

The current ENTERPRISE Arik Soong/Augment trilogy has Klingon
connections.  Last week's episode "Borderland" opened with an unnamed
22nd-century Bird of Prey taking a shuttlecraft aboard.  After some
hand-to-hand fighting, the scene shifts to the BoP's bridge:

Captain:  "Contact the High Council. Inform them of the prisoners.
            Request instructions."

Officer:  "Commander. Disruptor fire near the brig."

[Bridge doors open. The captain turns and sees two humans holding disruptors.]

Captain:  "Qi-yah..."

[The humans raise their weapons and shoot him.]
[Fade to opening titles.]

The spelling comes from the Closed Captions, but what's interesting is that
the writers chose an entirely suitable expletive instead of just picking
one at random from TKD.  According to KCD {QI'yaH} is described as "one of
the strongest, most foul expressions in the Klingon language. It defies
adequate translation."  I'd say seeing escaped, armed prisoners on your
bridge certainly qualifies!

In TNG "Redemption Pt. II", one of the Klingons in the background exclaimed
"{QI'yaH}!" when Worf refused to execute young Toral in the High Council
chambers after the Duras were defeated in the civil war.

{QI'yaH} appears twice in the KCD novelization:

   "The bartender," I said.
   "{QI'yaH}. Are you sure, Pakled?"  (p.106)

   "You are too late," she said. "He is gone."
   "Where?" She shook her head.
   "I wish I knew."
   "{QI'yaH}."                        (p.108)

I've also been told that {QI'yaH} was first used in TNG "Sins of the
Father", but have been unable to find the context.  I did find a script
online, but couldn't find the word in any spelling variation.  Can anyone
give me any more information?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons