tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 31 07:55:32 2004

Re: "dozens" (wa'maHmey?)

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

Voragh:
>{QIn 'Iq} "too many messages"
>
>   vIlaDchu'meH QIn 'Iq boqonta'
>   you've written too many messages for me to read perfectly
>   (i.e. I'm a beginner and read Klingon too hesitantly)
>
>   vIlaDta'meH QIn 'Iq boqonta'
>   you've written too many messages for me to read through (completely)
>   (i.e. I can't finish them all!)

Voragh, thanks for the suggestions.  As always, very thorough.
I have a question about the use of <'Iq> with <-meH> though.

In the above, it reads to me like "you've written too many
messages, so that I read them through (completely)".  That is,
you have written so many messages, for the purpose of having
me completely read them through.  It sounds like the speaker
is accusing the listeners of deliberately writing too many
messages, which results in the speaker reading them through.
The question is, am I misreading this, or is the <'Iq> in the
wrong place, or should it perhaps be <tlhoy>?

--
De'vID

MSN Premium helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*