tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 27 06:11:11 2004

Re: Possessive style

From: <[email protected]>

> In a message dated 2004-05-26 8:28:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> > If you're going to ignore canon and the Klingon way of doing it, then
each
> > person will simply use his own native sense to determine what he would
> > choose.  If you know a person's native language and how it operates in
this
> > regard, you have likely identified his answer to your question.
> >
> > SuStel
> >
> No, I don't think so.  He wants to know how fluent Klingon speakers deal
with
> possibly unnecessary possessives.  In this he isn't concerned about canon.
> However, those fluent Klingon speakers are probably very concerned about
canon,
> so the question becomes (possibly) how much influence has canon had over
the
> native language?

I don't see a contradiction between what you said and what I said.  I wasn't
talking about canon, I was talking about the situation "if you're going to
ignore canon."

Some big-name speakers don't care much about canon.  The most prominent
example is Captain Krankor, who frequently and deliberately violates rules
he doesn't like.  (Take his name, for instance: {HoD Qanqor}.  It's backward
and he knows it.)

SuStel
Stardate 4403.9

Back to archive top level