tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 25 10:37:33 2004

Re: 'eq, paS

lay'tel SIvten wrote:

>Can {'eq} and {paS} be used to say "it's late/early in the
>day/night/year/etc."

I would assume that you would rely on context.  What were you trying to
translate?

>or "it's getting late"?

Good question.  Your first instinct might be *{paSlI'}, but you should
resist it.  Okrand on {-lI'} "in progress" (TKD 42f):

   This suffix is similar to {-taH} "continuous" in that it indicates
   that an activity is ongoing. Unlike {-taH}, however, {-lI'} implies
   that the activity has a known goal or a definite stopping point. In
   other words, it suggests that progress is being made toward that goal.
     {chollI'}   "it is getting closer"
   This word would be used for, i.e., a missile approaching a target,
   when it is known that the missile has been aimed at that target. If a
   missile is getting closer, but its intended destination is not known,
   {choltaH} (with {-taH} "continuous") would be more appropriate.
     {vIlI'lI'}  "I am transmitting (the data)"
   This word implies that data are in the process of being transmitted,
   but that there is a finite amount of data, so there will be a definite
   end to the transmission. The fact that the verb {lI'} and the suffix
   {-lI'} are identical in sound is purely coincidental, so far as can be
   determined. The suffix {-taH} continuous can be used whether there is
   a known goal or not. {-lI'}, on the other hand, can be used only when
   there is an implied goal. It is possible to consider {-lI'} a continuous
   counterpart of {-ta'}, and {-taH} a continuous counterpart of {-pu'}.

As I read this, {-lI'} can only be used with action verbs, not qualities
(a.k.a. stative verbs).  Note that his two TKD examples - the only
canonical examples of {-lI'} we have BTW - are on action verbs.   AFAIK all
canon examples of {-ta'} "accomplished" are also with action verbs too.

>Are there any canon usages for these two words besides CK?

Except for the two CK examples:

   paS.
   He's late. CK

   'eq.
   She's early. CK

Okrand supplied three possible translations for "I was too late to visit
you" depending on context (startrek.klingon Jan. 1998):

   jIpaSqu'mo' narghpu' qaSuchmeH 'eb.
   "Because I'm very late, the opportunity to visit you has escaped."

   qaSuch vIneH 'ach narghpu' 'eb.  jIpaSqu'.
   "I want to visit you, but the opportunity has escaped. I am very late."

   qaSuchlaHbe'.  jIpaSqu' vaj narghpu' 'eb.
   "I cannot visit you. I am very late, thus the opportunity has escaped."

Later in KGT, Okrand came up with the idioms {vIHtaH gho} "the hoop is moving":

   This expression means that an activity of finite (though perhaps indeter-
   minate) length has started. It is used to encourage somebody to make a
   decision or to perform a process more quickly. The implication is that
   the activity will soon end, so that one should be sure to do whatever is
   required before it is too late, before the opportunity passes.  [KGT 111]

and {pel'aQDaj ghorpa'} "before it breaks its shell":

   This idiom means something like "before it's too late" or "while there's
   still time." [KGT 124]

And AFAIK that's all we have.

--
Voragh