tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 25 11:52:23 2004

Re: 'eq, paS

From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>
> As I read this, {-lI'} can only be used with action verbs, not qualities
> (a.k.a. stative verbs).  Note that his two TKD examples - the only
> canonical examples of {-lI'} we have BTW - are on action verbs.   AFAIK
all
> canon examples of {-ta'} "accomplished" are also with action verbs too.

That's not really enough evidence to go on.  It's a rarely-seen suffix, and
Okrand's example verbs are usually action verbs, regardless of what he's
demonstrating (unless he's demonstrating a specifically qualitative
expression).  I would not restrict {-lI'} and {-ta'} based on this
speculation.

> Okrand supplied three possible translations for "I was too late to visit
> you" depending on context (startrek.klingon Jan. 1998):
>
>    jIpaSqu'mo' narghpu' qaSuchmeH 'eb.
>    "Because I'm very late, the opportunity to visit you has escaped."
>
>    qaSuch vIneH 'ach narghpu' 'eb.  jIpaSqu'.
>    "I want to visit you, but the opportunity has escaped. I am very late."
>
>    qaSuchlaHbe'.  jIpaSqu' vaj narghpu' 'eb.
>    "I cannot visit you. I am very late, thus the opportunity has escaped."

Ah, some more evidence that {'eq} and {paS} refer to being earlier or later
than some activity or expectation, rather than being close to the beginning
or end of a time period.

SuStel
Stardate 4399.1

Back to archive top level