tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 13 07:49:04 2004

Re: the Fek'lhr? and esperanto?

Voragh:
> > Hmm... I wonder if the *preskoboldo* or the *Druckfehlerteufel* lies at
> the
> > origin of the idiom {HIvqa' veqlargh} (which AFAIK we've never heard on
> > screen)?

lay'tel SIvten:
>i've always thought the origin of "HIvqa' veqlargh!" was just the english
>phrase "... strikes again!".

But in Klingon idiom, only Fek'lhr strikes again -- no one else does
so.  Since IIRC he didn't "strike again" in the TNG episode "Devil's Due",
the question remains: How did Okrand come up with {HIvqa' veqlargh} as a
replacement proverb in "Power Klingon"?  Mere coincidence, or did he
remember some phrase from one of his Terran languages?

> > Does Okrand know Esperanto?  (I'll bet he does; most aspiring
> > linguists probably go through an Esperanto phase!  I know I did.)
>
>resorting to esperanto to explain the origin of the phrase is totally
>unnecessary.

Or German, perhaps.  As a Ph.D. I assume that Okrand would know German, if
only for research purposes.  (Is there a German idiom about any sort of
Teufel "striking again"?)

Later, of course, Okrand was inspired to create other idiomatic phrases
involving Fek'lhr:

   SuD veqlargh mInDu'. (HQ 8.3)

   veqlarghlI' yIbuS 'ej veqlarghwI' vIbuS. (KGT)

   qej; veqlargh rur (KGT)

   muQaqmoHta' veqlargh. (HQ 12.3)

... but it all started with {HIvqa' veqlargh}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level