tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 10 09:39:26 2004

Re: qay'a' Copy DIb?

Neal Schermerhorn ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Lieven L. Litaer wrote:

> I'm asking if I could get in trouble if I sell Klenginem's CD, because all
of the music is not mine,
> only the text, and that one is in Klingon, which might be another problem.
> Other question: can I avoid these problems if I just give away the CD for
free??

> I wrote:
> tlhengInem bom DaSovlaw', qen naDev vI'angta', 'ej wikiDaq bom mu'
vIlanpu'.
> qaStaHvIS DIS latlh bom law' vIqonta', 'ach not QoQ vIqon.
>
> DaH jIQubchoH. bomghomwIj vIngev vIneH, 'ach jIHeS vIneHbe'.
> *qopIyDIb* pabHa'lu''a' vIngevchugh? 'ej qay''a' tlhIngan Hol lo'wIj?
> chaq muboQlaH tlhIngan Hol yejHaD.
>
> naDev chut 'oDwI' tu'lu''a'?
>
> QaH! qul DIr yISop!
>
> Quvar.

Research Eminem's interaction with "Weird Al" Yankovic's latest album. If,
as the pun implies, you are using his music, tread carefully and do not
assume he'll look the other way if you violate the law.

In the US, you should contact the Harry Fox Agency in NY and discuss what
needs to be done. As this is parody, royalties are due the composers, and
you will have to waive your lyricist credit as I understand. But as long as
a work has been recorded, you do not need to seek permission, you need only
pay the statutory rate of royalty. Again, his is US specific, if you're
elsewhere contact a copyright lawyer. But any release of this material
without proper royalty payment would be in violation of copyright law.

Do'Ha'.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level